Tuesday, November 24, 2020

The story of blind tourist Tony Giles: "My mission is to see every country in the world."

 

Tony Giles has traveled to 130 countries so far "I have been to every continent in the world, including Antarctica. My mission is to see every country in the world. “This is to say of Tony Giles who is not only blind but also deaf with both ears. However, his passion for travel has so far taken him to 130 countries.

 

Tony Giles has traveled to 130 countries so far


 

Giles, a 41-year-old travel enthusiast, is from England.

"Some people say I'm touching the extremes of travel. But I'm showing them that you can see the world from an alternative perspective.

Giles recently traveled to Ethiopia, where he was interviewed by the BBC Travel Show.

Feel through my skin

"I hear people talking, I go up and down mountains, I can feel them through my skin and feet," he said. That's how I see any country. "

Giles has been traveling and moving to new places for the past 20 years.

During one such trip, he met his girlfriend from Greece. His girlfriend is also blind.

He traveled with them to Russia last year and the two traveled by train to the world's largest country.

However, he is lonely on most of his travels.

 

Tony Giles has traveled


New travel hobby

He covers his travel expenses with his father's pension. They plan their journey in advance.

 

His mother helps him book plane tickets because Giles says many airlines' websites are not helpful for the blind.

They keep in touch with people through various websites who can help arrange accommodation for them after their arrival in any country.

 

"I can't just pick up a book and decide where to go. I should have known that in advance. I have a very good memory. I plan where I want to go. “When they reach their destination, they like to look for routes in unknown cities.

"Sometimes I don't know who will find me in the new place and what is going to happen to me. That's the decent thing to do, and it should end there. "

 


 

Tony Giles has traveled  Add caption

I plan ahead. "

When they reach their destination, they like to look for routes in unknown in cities.

"Sometimes I don't know who will find me in the new place and what is going to happen to me. That's the decent thing to do, and it should end there. "

Lost senses

Giles was only nine months old when he was diagnosed with a vision problem. By the age of ten, he was completely blind.

At the age of six, doctors declared him partially deaf. Now they use powerful hearing aids, but they can't hear every sound completely.

"For a long time as a teenager, I was overly anxious about being blind."

Giles was educated at a special school and this was the first place where he had the opportunity to go to another country. At age 16, he went to Boston on a college trip.

However, his health still stands in the way of his passion. For example, in 2008 he had a kidney transplant. Her stepfather donated a kidney to her.

Giles' father died when he was 15, and his best and disabled friend died when he was 16.  Tony Giles loves to go to places where things can be touched and felt. "That's why I started drinking and it continued for six to seven years. By the age of 24, I was an alcoholic.

Giles' father worked in the Merchant Navy. The young Giles was greatly impressed by the stories he told from distant lands. "When I quit drinking, I could see that I had to do something different."

Running away from emotions

In March 2000, he began his adventure in New Orleans.

I had no idea where I was going, I was in a state of shock. I took a few deep breaths and said to myself, "Tony, if you don't want to do that, go home." Then he decided not to go back and since then he has toured all the states of America.

"One of the main reasons I traveled so much was because I wanted to escape. Escape from your emotions. Moving to new places always provides the necessary relief to their emotions. “When I meet more people, I feel that they do not come to me because I am blind, but because of my personality."


Just basic needs

They save money on travel. He prefers public transport and prefers basic living space to where he lived in Addis Ababa. The hosts of Giles cooked for them with the ingredients they had bought from Giles Market "It simply came to our notice then. It illuminates all four layers. The host of Giles cooked for them with the ingredients that Giles had bought from the market. "I hear, smell, and feel things around me."

They like to touch and feel things.

Talking to people and listening to what others have to say helps them form a picture.  In Addis Ababa, he went to an art exhibition where he was allowed to touch the objects kept there. He says it made him feel like he was involved, but in many museums, he is not allowed to do so.

They want to be 'lost'

They want to deviate from the daily routine. In Ethiopia, they went to a lake where most tourists did not go. They fed the waterfowl there.

 

Tony Giles in Ethiopia


They sometimes hire private bodyguards but often do not and sometimes get lost. However, they are not bothered by it. They comfortably wait for a passenger to come and help them. ‘Maybe ten people will pass by you and then someone will stop and ask: ‘Are you lost? Do you need help "Strangers have taken me home and fed me, and they have helped me on my journey," he says.

 

Trust strangers

Withdrawing cash and handling notes of different currencies is the biggest challenge for them. "I have to find someone I can trust. I have to check them first. Their stories have to be heard. "When they are satisfied, they go to the ATM with a stranger and withdraw cash. “When I withdraw money, I have to ask what the notes are worth."

Music and food

They also try to learn different types of musical instruments while traveling.

Tony Giles often connects with the locals through music and food

"One of my biggest loves is music. I can connect with that. I can feel the rhythm. It can overcome all obstacles. "




They must also taste the famous local dishes.

Amazing

He has visited many fascinating places and often takes pictures.

Sometimes they meet people who are amazed at their interest in tourism.

They ask, "Why would a blind man want to see the world?" He has a very simple answer.

"And that's why not."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking Between iPhone and Android Mobile Phone

  Picking Between  iPhone   and   Android Mobile Phone , MobilinkUk, An individual who is partial to Android telephones and an individual wh...